Friday 20 April 2018

Filling Our Tummies at Tummy Bowl

      Duty beckoned and hubby had a work-related dinner to attend. Having to fend for myself, plans to dine with two of my colleagues were duly hatched. Upon the recommendation of another colleague who regularly sniffs out noteworthy eateries, we proceeded to Tummy Bowl after school. 
Tummy Bowl is located at 4, Persiaran Greentown 8, 30450 Ipoh, Perak.

      Located in Greentown, Tummy Bowl is a new kid on the block. I rarely head to this part of town so it was an eye-opener to me to spot many new restaurants. I wonder how many can stand the test of time, though.
       Tummy Bowl brings us closer to Hawaii as it's all about the Polynesian hype of poke bowls. For the uninitiated, the poke bowl food trend is taking the world by storm. A classic poke bowl would start with a base layer of rice followed by seasonings and sauces, and finally capped off with a variety of toppings. The word "poke" means "to slice or cut" in Hawaiian and it's pronounced as "poh-kay". People with indecision may want to stay away from poke bowl though, as part of the fun is choosing the ingredients to customise your food!
        Here at Tummy Bowl, patrons pick up a form from the counter and scrutinise the menu to build their bowl.
Step 1 : Pick your base.
Step 2 : Pick 2 sauces.
Step 3 : Pick 4 sides and unlimited fresh toppings.
Step 4 : Pick your protein.
And there's an optional step of adding on house specialties, which would incur additional charges.
Obtain your order form here


Customise your poke bowl from this order form

       
A tempting array of cold pressed juices


Salad bar?

Intently packing our bowls
For my very first poke bowl, I opted for pesto rice to be drizzled with a tangy Lime Aioli sauce and a fruity Mango Coconut sauce. I then called for onions, corn, cherry tomato and pickled ginger to accompany my rice. Despite fresh toppings being unlimited, I suppressed any inclination for kiasu-ness by only choosing 4 : scallion, ebiko (fish roe), wasabi and fried garlic. And the star of the bowl (the protein) was Teriyaki Unagi (freshwater eel). Prices at Tummy Bowl are determined by the protein picked. So my bowl of Teriyaki Unagi was priced at RM26.90 and I had to add another RM2.00 for my rice to be tossed with pesto.
My appetising meal

Chose to rehydrate with mango, orange and blueberry juice

My poke bowl of Teriyaki Unagi

Lots of nuts and seeds in this Shoyu Salmon poke bowl

Almonds and avocado among other treasures in this Salmon Flakes poke bowl

My "damage" of the evening

        Looking at a poke bowl, it's reminiscent of a salad bowl. Those who know me well can testify that I generally shy away from salads. But this poke bowl had me ooh-ing and aah-ing throughout dinner. It was incredibly delicious and I finished every single morsel in no time. My fellow diners were  caught up in conversation and took a little longer to finish their meal. But they too agreed that food at Tummy Bowl is certainly yummy.
        

4 comments:

  1. Your poke bowl looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was sceptical at first, coz I don't fancy salad. But it really was so delicious!

      Delete
  2. This place is new to me, sounds interesting but I am afraid I would be lost when it comes to ordering the food! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is it interesting, it's delicious and oh-so-healthy.
      It's quite easy to use the form, but I think you can always enlist the help of the friendly staff. There were 1 or 2 items that we weren't sure what they were, so we went up to ask.

      Delete