Saturday 5 May 2018

Choosing New York for Sushi

    No, I didn't jet set to New York for sushi. I have neither the means nor the time to do so. But it was a very tasty Japanese meal at an eatery called New York Sushi right in Ipoh.
New York Sushi is located at 24, Jalan Medan Ipoh 3, Bandar Baru Medan Ipoh.

     Despite passing by this restaurant many times, hubby and I had never given it a try. But after Lee, my food connoisseur colleague, raved about it, our interest was piqued.
     The menu was really extensive, ranging from Japanese to Western. It was not easy to make our choices as everything looked and sounded scrumptious. But we finally decided on sharing the American Dream maki, the New York maki and the grilled salmon in teriyaki sauce, in addition to a chicken katsu donburi solely for hubby and a seafood pumpkin soup for myself.   
American Dream maki (shrimp tempura topped with spicy lobster salad served with creamy sesame sauce and chilli herbs sauce)


New York Roll (soft shell crab tempura and spicy snow crab wrapped with kombu seaweed)

Grilled salmon in teriyaki sauce

Hubby's chicken katsu don

My seafood pumpkin soup (with a mussel, squid and prawn tempura)

Face of sheer delight

       Both hubby and I have a penchant for Japanese food and are particularly devoted to Sushi Zento as well as Mokuren in Ipoh. But after our first meal at New York Sushi, we agree that it can certainly give those two establishments a run for their money. 
       Ingredients were really fresh, fillings were wondrously generous and the rolls were incredibly innovative, probably stemming from the owner's vast culinary experience. But most importantly, prices were kept extremely reasonable!
       If you are wondering why would a Japanese restaurant be named after an American city, the answer is simple. The owner, Chef Eddy, worked in the United States for 12 years and had the pleasure of cooking for Bill Clinton as well as Sean Connery. But America's loss is Ipoh's gain because after spending so many years abroad honing his craft, Chef Eddy has now returned to Ipoh.
       To prove how enamoured of New York Sushi we are, we were back for a second meal in less than 2 weeks. But this time, hubby ordered a chicken teriyaki bento while I had a Paradise Roll all to myself.
Hubby's very filling chicken teriyaki bento, which also included a miso soup, fruits plus a chawanmushi.


Me and my Paradise Roll (shrimp tempura, spicy lobster salad and tempura crabmeat wrapped with yellow soybean seaweed and yuzu mango sauce)

        Hmm...when shall we go there again, darling?

4 comments:

  1. A fusion sushi with a twist of America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, n there were lots of choices on the Western menu too. Must try those one day, if I can tear myself away from the maki.

      Delete
  2. I must get my friend to try this place! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Elin has blogged about this place.

      Delete