Saturday 16 June 2018

Sharing Soy Goodness

         Have you ever gone to a soya bean milk cum soybean pudding (tau foo fah) stall and you were torn between which to order? Now creative proprietors have paired them both together in a bowl to satisfy aboulic tastebuds. Some have taken it one step further by crafting a new 3-in-1 flavour : soya bean milk, soybean pudding and glutinous dumpling (tong yuen) all swimming in one bowl.
     Visitors who flock to Ipoh usually have one name in mind when they think of soya bean milk and soybean pudding. But we locals shun the famous Funny Mountain because we know where to get better renditions at much lower prices. There's a famous one in Bercham but I prefer a mobile truck that operates along the main road of Ipoh Garden East in the afternoons. I would have my soya bean milk with the palm sugar syrup (gula Melaka) and for the soybean pudding, I like mine with the ginger syrup.
3-in-1...creative yummy dessert that's nutritious too


Stall no. 42 (photo taken from the Internet)

     And for the best 3-in-1, I head to Stall no. 42 at the food paradise outside Stadium Indera Mulia. At a reasonable RM3.50, you will get a bowl of silky smooth tau foo fah mixed with a delicious full-bodied soya bean milk that's not overly sweet, 1 tong yuen with ground peanut filling and another tong yuen enveloping black sesame. They can even accommodate requests for 2 of the same fillings in a bowl. 
When you can't decide whether to have soya bean milk or soybean pudding, why not have both, plus some chewy balls?

     Even hubby, who does not have a penchant for desserts, was impressed with the taste and texture of the 3-in-1 that we shared over breakfast this morning. And he agreed that my father-in-law would probably like it too, when I said I plan to introduce it to Dad the next time he visits Ipoh.

2 comments:

  1. Chewy balls in taufu fah. That sounds good. I love taufu fah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have tasted the one in Bercham and the one at the Stadium! My favourite is the 3-in-1 at the Stadium!

    ReplyDelete