Saturday 26 January 2019

Welcoming The Pig In Advance

        When I made the switch from SculptFitness to Ipoh Swimming Club, what I missed the most was my gym buddy. I had always looked forward to working out and chatting with Patsy. Thankfully, we can still continue our chats over WhatsApp.
        Patsy is knowledgeable in many aspects and I learn a lot from her. As she goes to KL often, she knows many good eateries there. She had much earlier raved about The Butcher's Table and when she found that it had spread its wings (or should I say, knuckles?) to Ipoh, she excitedly urged me to give it a try.
Head to 18, Tingkat Taman Ipoh 6, Ipoh Garden South for some oink oink

        Despite Chinese New Year being more than a week away, hubby and I decided to welcome the Year of the Pig in advance by dining at The Butcher's Table this evening. As we arrived just slightly after six in the evening, we were the first customers. But a steady stream of customers started coming in soon after.
        Upon Patsy's recommendation, I ordered their homemade sausages, which are nitrate and preservative-free  and made with a mix of 80% topside lean meat and 20% fat. From a tempting array of 11 flavours, I decided to have a Farmer's Bratwurst (RM9 for about 100gms) and a Deluxe Cheese Ring (RM25 for about 300gms). I also ordered a side dish of mashed potatoes (RM5). Hubby went for their Smoked Pork Knuckle set (RM69), which came with one side dish. It was an enormous portion, probably ideal to be shared.

My dish of sausages

Loved this mashed potatoes, which had real chunks of potatoes in it

Derrick's Smoked Pork Knuckle

Let's pig in!



        Hubby's Smoked Pork Knuckle took a while to be prepared, and in the meantime, he happily dug into my sausages, which were served with a delicious mustard sauce. Hubby preferred the Farmer's Bratwurst, which was flavoured with parsley. I, on the other hand, delighted in the Cheddar cheese that oozed out from the Deluxe Cheese Ring.
        Hubby enjoyed his Smoked Pork Knuckle, which had been tenderly cured for 10 days, slow-cooked for 2 hours and hot smoked using natural wood chips for 30 minutes. I did not particularly fancy the smoky smell and thought the usual German Pork Knuckle's way better.
        Poor hubby finally conceded that it was too big a portion for him to finish, especially since I was not much of a help. We asked for it to be packed and taken home.
        Although The Butcher's Table may be new to us in Ipoh, KL folks have been enjoying its porkylicious goodness since 1992. Mr. Ho Kim Loon, the owner, had once been a butcher and then started serving the porcine dishes at Bangsar Shopping Centre. That restaurant has closed down and KL folks now go to the heart of PJ's SS2 for The Butcher's Table. As for hubby and I, we welcome the pig and all its goodness to Ipoh.
The menu


More porcine goodness!

5 comments:

  1. That was a nice way to welcome the CNY. Dining in the butcher!! Smoked pork knuckle looked good, I would love to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who favour smoked dishes will surely love this smoked pork knuckle. Gong Xi Fa Cai in advance, Rose!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gong xi fa cai to you and love ones. Yes, we wanted to try this but somehow it didn't happen. Hopefully, will have the chance after CNY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy CNY and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family!

    ReplyDelete