Friday 8 July 2016

Getting Hot And Bothered, And Then Icy Cold

       Whilst lazing in bed upon waking up early, I was reading The Star Online. I was instantly sobered up upon reading "Downpours To Replace Dry Spell", which forecasts that after sweltering under the effects of the strongest El Nino in 20 years, Malaysians will have to bear the brunt again when La Nina lashes out in the next few months with heavy rain and devastating floods.
     Although both El Nino and La Nina (which mean "Little Boy" and "Little Girl" respectively in Spanish) are naturally occurring weather patterns, most scientists believe that in recent years, these two kiddos have acquired aggression partly due to the greenhouse gases that humans have put into the atmosphere. So blame it not on the weather, but blame it on ourselves!
     El Nino may stem from the rise in ocean temperatures in the Pacific Ocean near the Equator and his effects are most dramatic around the equatorial Pacific, but other parts of the world are certainly not spared of his violence. Places that are accustomed to cool temperatures and lots of rain suddenly suffer from dry, warm weather. And we can even get snow in a desert!
     Speaking of snow, I love snow and have many dreams connected to snow. One of it is to walk hand-in-hand with my sweetheart in a snow-covered forest. Up to this day, I have experienced snow, but just not with my sweetheart.
     Another snow wish had already been fulfilled way back in 1997. There was an extremely rare snowfall in Plymouth (Plymouth is surrounded by seawater which has travelled from the Gulf of Mexico and has gotten warmed up in the process, hence less chances of snow). We woke up in our halls of residence, exhilarated to find snow falling steadily, and willed for it to snow harder. Soon we were able to rush out to have snow fights and to build snowmen all around. It was indeed the time of our lives, and for me, it was a dream fulfilled.
Meet Frosty the Snowman that was lovingly built by my friends and I!

     Just reminiscing about that glorious winter's day has made me feel cooler. And it has reminded me that I need to fulfil another snow wish --- to have a romantic stroll in the snow with hubby. Hokkaido or Shirakawa-go, wait for us!!!

     Now how did I go from serious to dreamy? 

4 comments:

  1. I do hope we don't have to go through another massive flood that they endanger lives and damage property. But I do hope to get some average rainy days to cool down the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At present, we would love to have some rain. But I too fear that we will be in for some heavy rains and possibly, floods. That's what the weathermen have forecasted. And it makes sense too : after terribly hot & dry weather, we will have the other extreme :(

      Delete
  2. Sweet memories never fail to make us dreamy... hehehe.. I think Ipoh is one of the hottest state, not sure why.. maybe due to the mountains surrounding us? Heat cannot go away? hahahaa... my geog is hopeless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true, I think. I was in Langkawi in March during the height of that super hot spell. My mum in Ipoh was complaining about the unbearable heat. It was hot in langkawi, but much more bearable. U r prob right in saying that the heat is trapped by d hills, I think.

      Delete