Wednesday 3 June 2020

MCO - Day 78

3 June 2020     Day 78 of Movement Control Order 

        I had another recipe in mind for my pork ribs but having spotted jars of XO sauce on sale at a coffee shop this morning, another idea took shape. This XO sauce is made by the Kok Thai Restaurant in Tasek. I’d earlier wanted to make my own XO sauce but it requires the use of Jinhua ham, which I would need to source. So when I spotted the jars of XO sauce on sale, I was a happy bunny.

        XO sauce, for the uninitiated, does not contain the expensive XO (Xtra Old) cognac. But the liquor lends its name to this spicy seafood sauce to show solidarity in terms of prestige, high quality and luxury. After all, the ingredients of the XO sauce are all the higher end treasures like dried scallops, dried shrimps and Jinhua ham which is specifically from the Zhejiang province. 

        To introduce hubby to the umami flavours of the XO sauce, I decided to cook it with his favourite pork ribs. I found a good, easy recipe on a food blog, eatwhattonight.com. So for dinner tonight, we had Steamed Pork Ribs in Black Beans XO Sauce. What did hubby have to say? He enjoyed it, couldn’t believe that it’s named after the liquor but is alcohol-free, and at the end of the meal, slurped up some of the sauce and announced that it would go well with ramen too!

Steamed Pork Ribs in Black Beans XO Sauce

Stir-fried lady’s fingers

Little jar of umami goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment