Friday 4 December 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 26

 Day 26 of Movement Control Order 2.0

4 December 2020

        We had some extra burger buns that I had to find a use for. Sigh! Cooking Western cuisine has never been my forte and I have never been partial to hamburgers. Remembering that I had some slices of pork chops in the freezer, I hit on an idea. Why don't I make Pork Chop Buns (猪扒包) for hubby?

Dinner in Macau...oops...in Ipoh

        Although I've never set foot in Macau, I know their Macanese Pork Chop Bun is legendary. A search on the Internet revealed that the authentic Macanese Pork Chop Bun is made up of just a thin-cut pork chop in a bread roll. But for tonight, I decided to do it my way.

 

Pork Chop Bun #1 consists of the meat, cucumber slices, caramelised onion and mushrooms.

Pork Chop Bun #2 consists of the meat, cucumber slices and a fried egg.

      I would have loved to have the meat marinated overnight, but I didn't have the foresight to plan ahead this time. I just had to keep my fingers crossed that a mere six-hour sit in the marinade would still do the trick. After giving the pork chop slices a good pounding using the back of a cleaver, I marinated them with cornflour, black pepper, oyster sauce, plum sauce (I usually use hoisin sauce, but I had run out of it) and Shaoxing wine. Later, at dinner, I deconstructed my Pork Chop Bun to savour the meat...and oh, yes, it was well-marinated!

        Hubby must have enjoyed this dinner very much as he gobbled everything up in no time. And later, after sending me the photos that he had taken, he added, "Thank you for the lovely lovely dinner." Phew! And all that effort was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment