Saturday 19 December 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 41

 Day 41 of Movement Control Order 2.0

19 December 2020

        Adapting recipes from Rasa Malaysia and Spice N' Pans, I scored a personal triumph when I cooked something that I often order when I go for 碟仔饭 in restaurants. However, despite seeing my penchant for this dish, hubby has never been tempted to try. I mistook that for disinterest so I've never attempted to cook this dish myself.

        But after buying some pork tenderloin from Ah Chun, my regular butcher, I was compelled to make this dish. First, I used the back of the cleaver to render karate chop treatment on the slices of meat. Then I dipped the meat into a marinade bath of beaten egg, baking soda, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, pepper, sugar, five spice powder, curry powder and Shaoxing wine. The pork slices were given five hours to luxuriate in the bath.

        To prepare the cooking process, I got ready the sauce mixture of chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black vinegar, plum sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar, water and cornflour. The juicy pork slices, which were glowing from their marinade spa session, were lightly coated with cornflour before being lowered into their hot oil treatment. They were then drained on paper towel while I stir-fried some minced garlic and brought the sauce to a simmer. The glistening pork slices were added into the sauce, given a good toss, plated up and garnished with toasted sesame seed. And there you have it, my alluring Peking Pork Chops, sometimes referred to as     排骨王   and at times, referred to as  京都排骨 .

 

Peking Pork Chops

      Theoretically speaking, this dish should not be called Peking Pork Chops as its origin is not from Beijing but from the eastern-central coastal province of Jiangsu. And the capital of Jiangsu is Nanjing (  
南京  ).

        Regardless of the name, it's still one of my favourite dishes. And I was heartened to see hubby thoroughly enjoying it.

Tofu Prawn Soup

Onion Omelette

No comments:

Post a Comment