Friday 18 December 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 40

 Day 40 of Movement Control Order 2.0

18 December 2020

        The Conditional Movement Control Order, which was due to end on 20 December, has now been extended to 31 December for some parts of the country, including Ipoh. It is not the extension that irks me; it is the lackadaisical attitude adopted by many that is infuriating. Once the borders were opened, throngs went shopping and holidaying like there's no tomorrow. Even the locals went about their daily routines like exercising, without being mindful of physical distancing.

        Call me odd, but I still refrain from visiting my parents as much as possible. And even when I do, I merely pass the food or groceries to them over the gate, all the while with my mask on. Hubby is a frontliner and we do not know if and when we are infected or are healthy carriers. The least I can do is to be extra vigilant and mindful.

        With the extension of the lockdown, the blogging on my cooking continues. I thought I'd cook something fuss-free to coincide with the last day of the 2020 academic year. What could be easier to cook than fried rice?

        But I was ambitious. I decided to cook what Marion Grasby calls the "special, luxury fried rice" with the "king of condiments". The XO Sauce Fried Rice was indeed extremely tasty, but it was not fuss-free. Instead of just one wok, there were lots of washing up. I suppose if I had used store-bought char siew, it would have involved much less steps. But I pulled out all the stops and oven-baked my own char siew chicken to use in the fried rice.

XO Sauce Fried Rice (recipe adapted from Marion's Kitchen)

Prawns, char siew chicken, french beans and omelette in the XO Sauce Fried Rice

        Hubby's "mmm...nice, very tasty" made it all worthwhile though. 😀 And now, as I type this, the dear man is changing the bedsheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment