Tuesday 15 December 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 37

Day 37 of Movement Control Order

15 December 2020

        Upon hubby's request, I baked chicken pies for his breakfast the next day. As I was also busy with my virtual lessons and preparation, I decided to cheat by using a frozen puff pastry that I had bought from Jaya Grocer two weeks ago. Of course it's not as nice as shortcrust pastry, but it did save me a lot of hassle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what the pastry lacks, the filling makes up for it.

        Making the filling was easy. After dicing the chicken fillet, I marinated it with salt, sugar, black pepper, cornflour, light soya sauce and dark soya sauce. I had an hour's break between my first class and my second. That was when I cooked the filling. Pouring a little oil into my wok, I threw in garlic, thyme, fresh white button mushrooms, potatoes and green peas. Chicken stock was then added in and the mixture was left to simmer for about 20 minutes. I heaped in 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and gave everything a good toss, before dishing out and leaving aside to cool.

        After my second class, I proceeded to roll out the puff pastry, line the aluminium pie containers, spoon in the filling, top it with pastry and brush on some egg wash. In went my 6 chicken pies into the pre-heated oven and left to bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

        Waiting for the chicken pies to be ready was an agony. The aroma wafted from the kitchen and my tummy growled furiously. And after they were done, I had to let them cool for a while before I could dig in.

Six Chicken Pies fresh from the oven

1 freshly baked Chicken Pie for the baker

My lunch : Chicken Pie and English Breakfast tea

        Although hubby had not tasted the pies (they were strictly reserved for his breakfast tomorrow), he was glad to see the effort. So he rewarded wifey by saying, "Let's go out for dinner." 😝

No comments:

Post a Comment