Friday 27 November 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 19

 Day 19 of Movement Control Order 2.0

27 November 2020

        Tonight's dinner was not complicated but required time. To serve tender pork belly braised in soya sauce (tau yew bak), the marinated pork belly had to be simmered and steeped in flavourful soya sauce for about an hour. I had, on previous occasions, skimped on time and I regretted to discover that either the meat was not tender enough or the meat had not fully absorbed the intense flavours of the sauce. From then on, there has been no question of cutting short the braising time.

Braised Pork Belly in Soya Sauce

        Our other dish, steamed brinjal, also demanded some time from me. I had to patiently cut them into strips before leaving them in the steamer for about twenty minutes. Today's one of those rare days that I wish I had a larger kitchen, or at least a stove with more than two hobs. With the pork belly braising away on one hob, I was only left with another. Besides steaming the brinjal, I also needed to fry shallots for garnishing and fry some prawn rolls. So the brinjal had to wait in a queue, and dinner ended up being slightly later than usual. 😆

Fried Prawn Rolls

Steamed Brinjal 

No comments:

Post a Comment