Friday 13 November 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 5

 Day 5 of Movement Control Order 2.0

13 November 2020

        "Ooh! This looks like restaurant-styled food. You are copying Jun Chillax?" hubby enquired as he eyed the dinner on the table. He was referring to a cafe that we frequent. But hubby was wrong; tonight's Garlic Fried Rice with Ebi Tatsutaage was inspired and adapted from two blogs, Messy Witchen and Just Bento.

   


    Ebi Tatsutaage is Japanese cripsy fried prawns. Instead of being enveloped in a batter or dusted with breadcrumbs, the method of tatsutaage frying involves lightly coating the marinated prawns with potato flour. In the two blogs that I consulted, the prawns were marinated with soya sauce, sake and grated ginger. Instead of soya sauce, I used salt and pepper. As there's no sake in the house, I substituted it with vodka. It occurred to me to add more, but I stopped myself in time. A combination of alcohol and prawns always makes me break out in rashes. I'd never tried marinating prawns with alcohol so I was not sure if this would have the same result. But I thought I'd better play it safe.

        As for the garlic fried rice, I opted to add some French beans for colour and crunch. I was a tad too liberal with the salt and soya sauce when frying the rice but when eaten together with the prawns and fried egg, it was fine. And the prawns? Oo-la-lla! They were so delicious and the tinge of ginger and vodka could still be tasted! Suffice to say, hubby was one happy man tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment