Tuesday 17 November 2020

MCO 2.0 - Day 9

 Day 9 of Movement Control Order 2.0

17 November 2020

        Whenever we return to Sitiawan, my father-in-law would take us to Bei King Restaurant for a meal. Besides the oyster omelette, I love their sweet and sour pork ribs or sweet and sour fish slices. I feel Bei King elevates the humble sweet and sour sauce a few notches by adding fried potato wedges in their dish. Aha! An idea formed in my mind when taking the minced pork out from its cool confines of the freezer.

        Following Bee Yinn Low's (of the blog, Rasa Malaysia) recipe for the meatballs, I marinated the minced pork with Bentong ginger powder, finely minced garlic, salt, pepper, sesame oil and a pinch of five spice powder. After the meat was well-slapped into little balls and deep fried, it was time to lightly coat the potato wedges with cornflour before lowering them into the hot oil. The meatballs and potato wedges were, of course, left to bask on paper towel to soak up the oil and to  assuage my nagging guilt of eating deep fried food, while I made the concoction of the sauce using tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, soya sauce, sugar and a dash of vinegar. In went the sauce into the awaiting wok of shallots and cherry tomatoes. As the sauce started to thicken, the meatballs and potato wedges were tossed back into the wok for some merrymaking. Voila! My Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Potato Wedges were ready. Both hubby and I loved it!


        Our other dish tonight was Stir-fried Hong Kong Baby Nai Pak with Egg Gravy...yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment