Tuesday 5 May 2020

MCO - Day 49

May 2020     Day 49 of Movement Control Order

        Although tonight’s meat dish is not something hubby usually orders at cafes, he delighted in what I presented. I love Hainanese Chicken Chop and can easily tell you where to go to for the tastiest. In fact, I’d previously blogged about it.

        Anyway, back to tonight’s dinner...I stumbled upon a recipe for it in one of my bilingual cookbooks so I decided to give it a try. There are, of course, different variations of how it’s prepared. The recipe that sparked my interest called for Marie biscuits to coat the chicken. I couldn’t find Marie biscuits at the supermarket aisle but the sight of Rich Tea biscuits threw me a new idea. Both biscuits have a similar taste so it should work. And it did!

        As an accompaniment, I made spicy potato wedges for the first time. This MCO period is, truly, a first for many things. Had my oven been working, I would have loved to pop these in for baking rather than frying. But these turned out really crispy and tasty today. After being fried and having the oil drained off, these little soldiers were then tossed in a chilli powder, black pepper, basil and thyme seasoning.
Hainanese Chicken Chop with Spicy Potato Wedges and Mushroom Soup

        A bite into his dinner, hubby asked, “If you are making this dinner to sell, together with the mushroom soup, how much would you price it?” “RM14.90?” I offered, hesitantly. Hubby gravely shook his head. “No, that would be too cheap. RM21.90!” He nodded his approval of the Hainanese Chicken Chop, and the labour was all worth it.

        All in all, it was quite a greasy affair, with all the deep frying. So hubby dearest, tomorrow we’ve got to detoxify! 

No comments:

Post a Comment