Friday 29 May 2020

MCO - Day 73

29 May 2020     Day 73 of Movement Control Order 

        Thanks to Alexandra Wong (cookwithipohbunny.com), I cooked Turmeric Fried Chicken on Day 42 and it was relished by hubby. Upon a reader’s recommendation, Alexandra later dished up a variation : Braised Turmeric Chicken. Seeing that there’s no frying involved, which means I don’t have to battle with hot oil splatters and an oily kitchen top, I was raring to give it a try.

        It can be a little messy dealing with fresh turmeric but the aroma of fresh turmeric just cannot be substituted with turmeric powder. Donning plastic gloves and using a stainfast plate do help. Alexandra’s recipe called for the use of lemongrass to be fried with the shallots. Unfortunately, I had exhausted my supply of lemongrass so I had to turn to the next best alternative - lemongrass powder. I added that to the chicken marinade instead of frying it with the shallots. It may not be as aromatic as frying them together with the shallots, but, hey, the star of the dish today is the turmeric, not the lemongrass!

        Although I love steamed brinjals as much as hubby does, I have to introduce a different method of cooking these purple berries (yes, brinjals are botanically classified as berries!). I hit upon the brainwave of making it super spicy. A quick search on the Internet brought me to the food blog, thespruceeats.com  and my answer was found.
Very yummy Braised Turmeric Chicken

Spicy Sichuan Brinjals

These were the two bean pastes used for the Spicy Sichuan Brinjals

        Hubby tucked into tonight’s dinner with gusto, and all the labour was worth it! Even I thought this was one of those dinners that you wish you had cooked MORE rice! And surprisingly, hubby loved the non-spicy dish (Braised Turmeric Chicken) more than the fiery one (Spicy Sichuan Brinjals).

No comments:

Post a Comment