Saturday 9 May 2020

MCO - Day 53

9 May 2020     Day 53 of Movement Control Order

        Previously, I’d always made an ang moh  version of char siu by following Elinluv’s recipe. It made use of red wine and jam for meat marinade and necessitated the use of an oven. We loved it as it was extremely scrumptious. However, my Noxxa breadmaker cum oven chose to fail me during this period of MCO and I have yet to send it for repair. So I had to seek other avenues to make the perfect char siu sans oven.

        Answer found! Another of my bilingual cookbooks came to the rescue. It was a very simple recipe. Made the garlic char siu sauce the previous day and tenderly massaged the pork belly with it, before leaving it to soak up the flavours overnight. The meat then had to be pan-fried and left to simmer in flavourful juices for about 30 minutes. Cut (in my case, I snipped) it into slices and there you have it, melt-in-your-mouth char siu. Hubby loved it and said I can give the local char siu stalls a run for their money!

Homemade char siu 

Stir-fried broccoli with fishballs 

Pork belly simmered away and soaked up all the aromatic and yummy juices

End product before snipping


        

No comments:

Post a Comment