Saturday 30 May 2020

MCO - Day 74

30 May 2020     Day 74 of Movement Control Order 

        This morning, I told hubby that I had run out of ideas on what to cook and supplies in my freezer were running low. It was actually a hint for a kitchen reprieve. However, hubby didn’t take the hint. He must have thought that he had cleverly solved his wifey’s problem by announcing that we would make a stop at the wet market after we were through with some matters at Station 18. Sigh! I have always known that I need to spell things out for my man instead of acting coy and dropping hints. I didn’t do that today because deep down, I still wanted to cook.

        Fleeting thoughts of a takeout dinner from Mokuren now gone with the wind, I hurriedly sought cooking ideas from my new idol, Marion Grasby. And I found my answer in her Tonkatsu. The last time I had that was in a small, unassuming restaurant in Kanazawa, and it was so delicious! Tonkatsu is crispy fried breaded pork cutlet, sometimes drizzled with a Japanese-styled barbecue sauce, also known as Tonkatsu sauce. I didn’t have the Tonkatsu sauce and Panko breadcrumbs (best to be used for making these fried pork cutlets) but a check on the Internet revealed that using other breadcrumbs can work and making your own Tonkatsu sauce is no arduous task. Hence, I made do with what I had in my pantry.

        A Tonkatsu-don (fried breaded pork cutlet with rice) would usually be served with a miso soup. I know hubby definitely prefers his Chinese-styled tofu prawns soup, so that was what I made to accompany my golden meat beauties.
May I present my Tonkatsu with homemade Tonkatsu sauce?

Tofu , prawns and mushrooms soup

No comments:

Post a Comment